Building a Leadership Competency Model
It is important to identify and gauge the level of leadership competencies which are the key skills required to drive your business strategy.
Our programs help you determine the critical qualities required for success. The objective is to promote leadership behaviour in line with these skills and recruit and develop next generation leaders who will drive your business to win in the marketplace.
Organizations who apply a competency model, seek to:
- Improve the success rate of external recruitment and succession planning. You will have a sharper understanding of people as well as a deeper appreciation of the capabilities that may be required to take a particular area forward.
- Focus development activities around key behaviour and skills that will help the business succeed in the future.
- Send clear messages to individuals and teams about what qualities are really important to the business and how these are aligned to the overall strategic direction.
An effective competency model should reflect the strategic goals of the business.
Our process for developing leadership competencies include:
- focused discussions with chosen senior executives:
- challenges facing the organization
- characteristics that have proven successful in the past
- new skills that may be required for the future
- define key competencies required of managers
- disseminate imperatives to a pool of executives for comments and appropriate modifications
- develop a clear consensus, creating a common language for discussion
- Encourage buy-in and empowerment
Mapping managerial and leadership competencies brings organizations the following benefits:
- An understanding of key qualities required for success
- An objective, independent appraisal of leadership skills
- Enhanced recruitment and succession planning
- An opportunity for managers and senior executives to consider their development in the light of emerging business requirements
- A means of collating data about individuals and developing a clear picture of the strengths and development needs required to align skills with strategic imperatives.